Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Effort requires no Skill
Blake2 Away
Robin

Effort requires no Skill
1) Never fail due to a lack of effort because effort requires no skill. You can fail because of superior competition, bad luck, or poor execution, but you cannot fail because you didn’t try your best.

It’s one of those elusive obvious facts that somehow still evades most people. You may not have certain skills, but if you’re disciplined enough to just work hard it’s likely you’ll get somewhere with your effort.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he is wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
-Alexander Pope
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020 07:32 AM by Blake2.)
02-28-2020 07:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like Blake2's post:
Syberpunk, Tactician, Kid Twist, bacani, Nineteen84, Emperor Constantine, mygambition
kel Offline
Kingfisher

RE: Effort requires no Skill
Another formulation is "80% of success is showing up".
02-28-2020 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like kel's post:
Emperor Constantine, bucky, Maurice Ravel
SoftFor Offline
Pigeon

my motto in life is...never fail due to a lack of effort because effort requires no skill.
03-09-2020 07:16 AM
Emperor Constantine Offline
Robin

(02-28-2020 01:16 PM)kel Wrote:  Another formulation is "80% of success is showing up".

A while back I made myself a rule: I can skip my judo class as often as I want, but I have to pack my gi and drive there before I can decide to skip. I've been making steady progress ever since.

By the waters of Babylon, there we sat down and we wept, when we remembered Zion.
03-09-2020 09:12 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Emperor Constantine's post:
kel, bucky, Maurice Ravel
d'Aversa Offline
Banned

What if you cannot put in effort, over an extended period of time, not because of lack of genuine will, but because of exhaustion, as in lack of pure physical energy?
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 06:06 AM by d'Aversa.)
03-10-2020 06:06 AM
kel Offline
Kingfisher

All I could suggest is finding something to cut out. Figure out what you top priority is and put all your effort towards that (and what you have to do besides that, e.g. job, etc). You might have to completely sideline one thing in order to concentrate your limited time and effort into another.
03-10-2020 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
PapayaTapper Away
Crow
Gold Member

(03-10-2020 06:06 AM)dAversa Wrote:  What if you cannot put in effort, over an extended period of time, not because of lack of genuine will, but because of exhaustion, as in lack of pure physical energy?

How old are you?

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell
03-10-2020 12:12 PM